Centred Content

As a young person involved with, or in the care of, Children’s Aid Society, you have rights and are entitled to certain things while receiving services.

Learn about your rights as a child, youth or young person. Find out about the laws that protect you, where you can go to make a complaint and other helpful resources here.

As a child or youth in care, you have many rights and responsibilities. If you have any questions, please talk to your worker. We are here to help.

You have the right to:

Good care

  • Live in a safe, caring and comfortable home where your house rules and your responsibilities are clear.
  • Be provided healthy and nutritious meals.
  • Receive medical and dental care at regular intervals and also when required.
  • Receive sufficient and appropriate clothing for your age and activities.
  • Receive appropriate correction for misbehaviour, but not physical punishment.
  • Not be locked in a room, house or building except where arrested by the police; authorized by a Judge through Criminal Court proceedings; or through a Judge’s Order for Secure Treatment.


  • Receive an education appropriate to your skill level.
  • Participate in recreational and athletic activities according to your abilities and interests.
  • Participate in activities consistent with your cultural and religious background, and preferences.


  • Reasonable privacy and possession of your own property.
  • Visit regularly and in private with your family, unless a judge rules otherwise.
  • Be free from discrimination by any staff, foster parent and/or volunteer because of culture, race, religion or sexual orientation.
  • Send and receive mail that is not read or censored, except for reasons of potential emotional and/or physical harm.


  • Actively participate in the development and review of your Plan of Care.
  • Be heard and involved in any significant decisions concerning your medical treatment, education, religion, placement or any other matters concerning you.
  • Be notified of, and attend court hearings that affect you unless the court decides that it is not in your best interest to be there.
  • Speak and visit in private with your worker, a lawyer, a representative or advocate, the Ombudsman, the Provincial Advocate, or a member of federal or provincial parliament. If you are a First Nations youth, you also have the right to privately speak or visit with a representative of your Band or native community.
  • Receive assistance through the Continued Care and Support for Youth program between the ages of 18 and 21 if you meet the eligibility criteria.

While in care, you have the responsibility to:

  • Abide by the rules negotiated between you and your caregiver, and accept the consequences if you misbehave.
  • Care for your personal hygiene.
  • Demonstrate respect for others within your placement, including a respect for their privacy and belongings.
  • Cooperate with your worker and caregiver.
  • Attend school.
  • Seek and secure employment if you leave school.

If you have concerns about your placement

You have the right to contact the Ontario Child and Family Services Review Board if you or someone representing you feels that your rights have been violated.

If you, your parents, or someone representing you is not satisfied with the Society’s response to your concerns, you may contact the Ontario Ombudsman at 1-800-263-2841 or cy-ej@ombudsman.on.ca.

You are also entitled to seek a review of appropriateness of your group home residence any time after the fourteenth day of placement, by contacting the Residential Placement Advisory Committee (RPAC) at 349A George St. North, Ste. 205, Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3P9, 705-748-3220.

Call Us