The most important job we ever have is that of parenting. But few of us are taught how to be a good parent.
Parenting can become overwhelming when parents have little support from family or friends, when parents are very young and are not prepared the responsibility, or when they do not know what to do when their child misbehaves.
A drug or alcohol abuse problem also makes it more difficult to be a good parent.
Please call us:
- If you are aware of a child or youth who may be abused or neglected;
- If you know or suspect that another child or youth is exposed to domestic violence;
- If you need help regarding a pregnancy;
- If, as a parent, you find the stress becoming overwhelming.
If you are outside of Durham Region, you can search online or check the emergency pages of most Ontario telephone directories for the number of the local Children’s Aid Society (or Child and Family Services). You can also check a directory provided by the Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies.
All Children’s Aid Societies have emergency service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We also have made available some resources you may find useful. Please download the following documents:
- Guidelines for the Supervision of Children
- A check list for a babysitter or for your child when he or she is home alone.